Monday 16 July 2012

Dead Batteries, a short story by Jason Beech.

Hello there!

So here it it, my first ever review, Exciting times huh?

I've recently stated my love for crime and fiction books on twitter, which has caused quite a few writers to follow me. Not that I'm complaining! I received a direct message from the lovely Jason Beech (@Beech_Jason) telling me about some sweets I should try, because I eat a lot of mints (It's a long story). We got talking and I asked him about his writing, he then informed me that he had written three short stories! (He is also releasing a book, so be on the look out for it!) I asked him for them and he promptly sent me a link to his webpage. Click here! His three stories are Dead BatteriesSecret Mind and The tree. The story I'll be reviewing is Dead Batteries. 

My review;
Well first thing's first, I loved the writing style. I can really relate to the character because the language Jason used is very true to life. Which surprisingly isn't the case with most of the books I read. I also like how Jason has made it relevant to people by including brands/sites such as Apple and twitter, I really think it adds to the true to life style he has created.

The description of the character is top of the line, he has really told me about the character and gone into nice detail. Jason has described the different aspects of his life and to me that makes him human and not just some character in a book. Although I would try to work a name for the character, as it helps the reader engage with the character further.

I also love the humour Jason has used! If there is one thing I cannot stand about books/short stories it's when they make it 100% serious. There is always room for some humour and he has included the right amount for his story! He has also used relevant humour. Humour that he knows his audience can relate to.

I think the ending was really quite sweet and unexpected. I had half expected him to drive off without a care or without gratitude towards the people. Another theory was that they would attack him! I love how you turned it around and managed to make me re-think the previous feelings I had towards the Character.

The story really held my attention and I wanted to read on and find out what happened at the end.

The only criticsm i have is that Jason should give his character a name (unless that's happened on purpose), other than that it's a really good story!

Seriously, well done to Jason. I really enjoyed reading it. I am looking forward to reading the others!

Thank you for reading!
Chris x




No comments:

Post a Comment